The VBAS is a 100% volunteer-run organization, which means we are looking for committed volunteers who are able to provide basic care for the animals and assist with adoptions as well as participate in and run our various programs.
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must commit to volunteer 8 hours per month.
- You must commit to volunteering for a minimum of one year.
- Orientation occurs every other month.
- Please allow 60-90 minutes for the orientation.
- During Orientation we will cover general Shelter duties, event committees, VBAS requirements, training, KFP, take a tour and Q&A.
- Orientation is on a first come first served basis. The first 30 people to sign up will be able to attend Orientation. If you miss this you will have to wait and attend the NEXT Orientation posted date
- Our January orientation is now full. Please check back here starting on March 4th to sign up for the next orientation session on March 25th.
Volunteer Application Process
- Applications are available on this page for one week after each orientation.
- Upon receipt of your application you will be given a list of Volunteers with their schedules and observe them at the Shelter at least 2 times.
- You will then be move on and be interviewed by a VBAS member.
- You will then go through LiveScan and a minimal background check as required by the City of Burbank.
- Please note: completion of any or all of the above steps does not automatically constitute acceptance as a VBAS volunteer. Upon approval from both the VBAS and the Burbank Police Department, your badge will be available and you will be contacted to schedule your first training session.
- Please allow approximately 3-6 months to complete this application process.